Chicken Pastilla (Chicken B'Stilla)
Pasilla (B'stilla) is unique in that it is both savoury and enhanced with sweet, in the form of icing sugar, honey and orange blossom water. Despite initial reservation, it is a spectacularly scrumptious combination and I do hope you try it.Ingredients:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 strands saffron
- 3 slices ginger, 1/2 cm thickness
- 4 T parsley and coriander finely chopped
- 40 g butter
- 1 red onion, super finely diced
- 1/2 cinnamon quail
- salt, to taste
- 4 extra large eggs whisked
- 2 T orange blossom water, plus extra for serving (optional but recommended)
- 30 g flaked almonds
- honey to taste
- 10-12 sheets Mediterranean Delicacies phyllo pastry
- melted butter for brushing
1. Bring 2 cups of water to boil, add chicken breasts, saffron, ginger, parsley, coriander, butter, onion and cinnamon. Lower heat and allow to simmer for an hour or more, until the meat is tender and starts to shred when pulled with a fork. Top up with water if needed.
2. When all the water is absorbed, add almonds and turn to lowest heat setting.
3. Add 3/4 of the whisked eggs slowly, beat with fork.
4. Season with salt and honey to taste and allow to cool.
5. Butter 5-6 phyllo pastry sheets with a pastry brush and stack neatly one on top of the other. Use a sharp knife to slice the pastry sheets in half widthwise.
6.Add 1/4 of the shredded chicken to the halved pastry and form into a round using your hands. Lift one corner up, brush with egg wash and press over the chicken mixture and continue until you have a roughly round pastry pie. Tuck the loose ends under one side and place the smooth, seamless side up. Brush this side with egg wash. Tip: cut off a little extra pastry for a smoother, less bulky result but make sure you seal the pie well.
7. Repeat with remaining phyllo and place the pies on a greased baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius
8. When ready, dust with icing sugar. Serve with orange blossom water on the side. This is lovely served warm.