As a child, I always had a love for the caramel chocolate mint combination of this dessert. I love creamy desserts and this was such an easy one to make for my young hands. That said, I searched through my South African recipe books and couldn't find one recipe for Peppermint Crisp Tart. I'm not sure how I learnt to make it! These days I've added a few new touches to make the dessert a little more modern. Some days I replace the key ingredient of Peppermint Crisp with Mint Aero. I use different biscuits and have even experimented with adding fruit (blackberries are my favourite!). I love serving it in individual portions when I need it to be a little fancier. One of my favourite products under the Mediterranean Delicacies brand is halva. This is a dessert from the Middle East made from sesame seeds and honey. I find halva satisfies the sweet tooth but doesn't send you into a sugar coma. The texture is something different a combination of light and airy with soft and grainy. Besides eating it as is, I've only had it in a halva mousse. I thought it would be fun to use the concept of the mousse and add a little South African flavour, turning it into a Peppermint Crisp tart style dessert. It was a hit! One portion didn't survive the photo shoot! The Cocoa Halva combined with a swirl of caramel and the minty chocolate is just delicious. I made individual portions in glasses which I served after dinner. You're welcome to make a big tart and serve from the dish when required.Ingredients:
- 250ml fresh cream
- 100g Mediterranean Delicacies Cocoa Halva
- 80ml caramel
- 1/2 packet tennis biscuits, crushed
- 150g Peppermint Crisp, crushed
1. In a bowl, whip the cream until stiff.
2. Break the halva into pieces and whip into the cream.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the caramel to soften it.
4. Spoon the caramel into the halva cream mix and gently stir through. You don't want it to mix too well.
5. In a glass jar or dish, pack a layer of tennis biscuits.
6. Top with the halva cream mixture. Leave some to top with.
7. Add a layer of Peppermint Crisp. Save half for the topping.
8. Top with the remaining halva cream.
9. Finish with the remaining Peppermint Crisp. 10. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, until set